Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Louise Barnes Gallagher Update

A couple of years ago I wrote a biographical post about designer Louise Barnes Gallagher.  At the time, I was only able to find a tiny head shot of Louise from a newspaper which was poor quality and quite fuzzy.  Last week, I was contacted by the designer's granddaughter Mary-Louise and she was kind enough to send me the two photos of her grandmother you see here today.  The one above probably dates to the 1920s.

In the second photo, Gallagher is wearing a suit made from her signature "Gallagher Mesh" fabric and decorated with lots and lots of buttons, a design element she used frequently.  Judging by the hat, this photo likely dates to the late 1930s or very early 40s.

I'd like to thank Mary-Louise for providing these photos of her grandmother for all of us to see and enjoy.  It is a pleasure to keep the memory of Louise Barnes Gallagher alive!