Monday, October 11, 2010

Passionate About Purple

Braemar purple cashmere cowl necked pullover and cardigan twinset.
Set sold for $75 in 1958 (about $570 in today's dollar).


I've always loved the color purple. I would have fit right into the fashion mainstream in 1958-59, as purple was quite a popular color during that time. My summer garden is filled with purple flowers like irises, lavender, and violets. And of course, purple is associated with nobility and royalty because in ancient times, purple dyes were only affordable by the elite.

I would faint if I found the purple cashmere sweater set shown above. The color is incredible, don't you agree?

Christian Dior purple coat, 1958.

Finger and Rabiner wool suit from 1958.
Sold for $70 in 1958 (about $532 in today's dollar).


Jacques Griffe purple suit, 1959.