Monday, March 28, 2011

How About a Blouse Instead of That T-Shirt?

One of the things I find sad about modern fashion is how casual we've become. Now that jeans and t-shirts are ubiquitous, it seems many of us have lost our flair for dressing well. Though knits are comfortable, most modern t-shirts and knit tops are made of such cheap fabric that they look a bit bedraggled after only a few washings. Why not choose a vintage blouse instead?

A vintage blouse is a great way to bring the past into your wardrobe without breaking the bank. And if you have trouble finding vintage dresses that fit, a blouse will be more forgiving, especially if you don't have a tiny waist. Pair a vintage blouse with a skirt, pants, or even jeans. Layer it under a jacket or cardigan for a look that is polished and different. The blouses shown here are all from 1962.

Shapely Classic blouse printed with blue and green leaves. Sold in 1962 for $5 (about $37 in today's dollar.) Hat by Sally Victor.

Lady Manhattan shirt with French cuffs adorned with big jeweled cuff links. Sold in 1962 for $6 (about $44 in today's dollar.) Hat by Emme.

Vera silk blouse in white with big black dots, worn with a black silk scarf. Sold in 1962 for $12 (about $88 in today's dollar.)

Mollie Parnis white silk blouse with button and buttonhole detail all the way around the collar. Belted in black patent.

Do you have blouses in your wardrobe? Have you ever tried a vintage blouse? Should I carry more vintage blouses at Couture Allure?

8 comments:

Sunshine said...

I've been buying 40s novelty print blouses, 50s/60s ginghams, and embroidered souvenir blouses from central/south America and Asia - peasant blouses and the white button-downs with dainty collars. Men's 40s gabardine westerns and denims too.
I know dealers and shop owners who say separates don't sell, but they sell to me!

Erin said...

YES! Carry more of them! I found the cutest ruffled red polkadot blouse at a vintage shop recently but it was a bit snug. The only fitting problem I usually have with short-sleeved blouses are the sleeves. Often too tight.

Val said...

I don't own any vintage blouses (yet!) but I love to make them from vintage patterns. In fact, I just picked up some fabric for a couple this Saturday!

Sandra @ Debutanteclothing.com said...

l love wearing vintage blouses but never seem to find any in my size =(

The Red Velvet Shoe said...

As much as I love them, I agree with the other comments that fit can be an issue unless your a waif. I do, though, have a back zip sleeveless polka dot blouse my grandmother had made to wear with a seersucker suit and it fits me perfectly and I love to wear it with white capris in the summer. I think bust darts make a big difference, and if you know how to adjust them, that can be all it takes to get the proper fit.

Sheila said...

I love blouses, and I have a wonderful one that's vintage (very similar in shape to the 2nd one you posted) that I wear a lot.

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

Interesting comments. If you can find a vintage blouse that fits you in the bust, you can always take it in at the waist by adding darts if you want it to be fitted. But vintage blouses were not really designed to fit close to the body. That's why you can see gathers and folds in the ones that are tucked into the skirts in the photos. We're so used to knits that hug our body, perhaps we're not used to a garment that doesn't.

juxnz said...

I have a couple of my grandmothers self-embroidered blouses I wear in summer - in fact, I included images of them in my last blog post.

http://juxtaposenz.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment