Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Big Hair 1965

In the mid 1960's, hairstyles were BIG. In just a few short years, teens would protest and start to wear their hair long and straight in reaction to the hours it took to create these looks.

It was not uncommon to spend 2-3 hours at the hairdresser for a wash and set.

At home, women set their hair on huge rollers and either slept on them or sat under a home hair dryer for an hour or so. Remember, the hand held blow dryer was yet to be invented.

Hair was sprayed, teased, back combed, and sprayed again.

Many women wore synthetic "falls" to add length and more volume to their hair.

And it was not uncommon to wear "rats" hidden under your hair to add even more volume.

Still, with all the work involved, I think these women look fabulous with their elaborate hairstyles. How about you?

Written content is copyright of Couture Allure. If you are reading this anywhere but on the Couture Allure Vintage Fashion Blog, it is via RSS feed.

16 comments:

Bonjour Madame said...

I'm a fan of big hair. I may have to purchase a teasing comb. Granted it's not this big, but a little volume in the crown is very cool.

agatcon said...

O, wow! Super hair:)

Sal said...

I could never spend 2-3 hours on a single 'do, but I simply ADORE the results. Big hair rules.

retroliving said...

These are all gorgeous hairstyles!


♥Darla

Kathleen C. said...

My Mom, who had short straight hair naturally, would put hers up and stick this curly bun type piece on top. I loved it! I thought she was the most glamorous beautiful woman ever!
Hmmm... I still do.

lucitebox said...

I would love to have the kind of hair that permits big hair. I'd need a rat, but the good news is that my fine hair will definitely hold a tease! I'm going to attempt the third one down some time.

Lily said...

I adore massive hair. Love these hairstyles, but could definitely not be bothered with it!

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

My hair is too short now to attempt any of these styles, but I'm glad you all like them!

Gladys said...

Love, Love, Love Them. I will sometimes when going to something special pile my hair high on my head and use a couple of cases of Aqua Net to hold it in place. They have a new product now called the "bump it" I haven't used it but I want to.

lucitebox said...

How could I not have noticed the pearl necklace wearin' broads AMAZING bracelets?! WANT!!

jennine said...

i love it... it's funny because you think 2-3 hours at the salon is a long time, but they only went once or twice a week. i'm sure cumulatively we're not saving any time by not having big hair... as when i'm working often it'll take 20-30min to dry/style straighten my locks, not to mention the washing part, even if i was my hair every other day, it's hardly less time...

Eda said...

Beautiful! I love retro hair styles!

MissRedLips said...

they truly are works of art. it reminds me of a sculpture that takes a lot of skill to create...amazing!

Erika said...

There is nothing I love more than big hair. Paired with winged eyeliner? I die! :)

Nikki S. said...

I just found your blog, and I love this post! It's great (: The hair is amazing!

Anonymous said...

The hand held hair dryer had most definitely been invented. Just an FYI.

Post a Comment