Monday, June 15, 2009

Vintage Mommy & Me Dresses

Did you ever wear matching dresses with your mother or daughter? As far as I can remember, my mom never wore the same dress as I did, but she did dress me and my 4 sisters all alike every Easter. I'll have to dig out a photo for you someday. When my daughter was about 6 or 7, she and I wore matching dresses one spring. I searched high and low for the photo of us in those dresses, but I couldn't find it. I promise to post it once I do find it. I remember Sarah feeling so proud and grown up to be wearing a dress that matched mine. Was it a fashion faux pas? I didn't care. I would do almost anything to make my kids happy, and we sure did make an impression wherever we went!

These "mommy and me" fashions are from the Spring 1954 Simplicity pattern book. The pattern numbers are listed in case you want to search them out and make your own matching wardrobe! All patterns are by Simplicity.

Mom's dress - Pattern 4582. Daughter's dress - Pattern 4579.


Mom's dress - Pattern 4288. Daughter's dress - Pattern 4273.

Mom's dress - Pattern 4428. Daughter's dress - Pattern 4505.

Later this month, Oscar de la Renta will be offering little girl's dresses in sizes 2-6 to match some of the dresses from his Spring 2009 line. The dresses are made from the leftover fabrics from his women's line, and a portion of each dress sold will go to the Children's Defense Fund.
Cute, no? Would you wear a dress to match your daughter? Did you do this with your mom when you were little? Inquiring minds want to know!

In other news, Dany of Dame Vintage has bestowed the "One Lovely Blog Award" on Couture Allure. Thanks, Dany! I appreciate it!