Monday, February 28, 2011

The Little Brown Dress

Christian Dior, 1949Christian Dior New York ribbed silk dress with a large bow draped across the bodice.

It is said that every woman should have a little black dress in her wardrobe. But if you subscribe to the "seasonal" skin tone theory, the only people who can truly wear black near their face well are those described as "winter". The rest of us should choose something less harsh like gray, navy, or brown. Granted, I wear black a lot, but rarely on top because I am a "spring". Black near my face tends to accentuate the rings under my eyes and makes me look tired. I do like to wear brown, though. It just works for me. What about you? Do you wear brown as a neutral in your wardrobe?

In the spring of 1949, brown was a popular color of choice for many fashion designers (especially M. Dior), as evidenced in these photos.

Omar Kaim, 1949Omar Kaim for Ben Reig silk organza and satin evening gown with a large bow at the side.

Christian Dior, 1949, suitChristian Dior Couture brown wool suit.

Jo Copeland, 1949Jo Copeland brown tulle over taffeta dress with low decollete.

Christian Dior, 1949Christian Dior Couture silk dress with fly-away skirt panel at the back.

9 comments:

Val said...

I love that first dress. I have found myself wearing more brown in the last couple of years, as I've grown sick of black being my go-to winter neutral. What has surprised me about the color the most is that brown on top looks great with an orange bottom...a color I have historically avoided at all costs.

Garnet said...

I can't wear black near my face, either. But I really only like brown when it's closer to bronze, or has a little shimmer to it, as in those three evening dresses in the first, second and fourth pictures. Personally, I always reach for navy when I need something simple and neutral.

You can't go wrong with navy and white in the summertime! Especially if you add a jaunty grass-green or red scarf!

Garnet

Erin said...

I'm a huge fan of dark brown and charcoal gray as neutrals. I'm a "summer."

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

Val, I love orange and brown together! I also wear a lot of brown tops with black pants. People say it shouldn't be done, but it works!

Garnet, I don't have a lot of navy in my wardrobe. I found a navy top at the thrift a few months ago and find I've been reaching for it a lot this winter.

Erin, I wear gray a lot too. It is so much kinder than black, isn't it?

**CREATIVE CARMELINA** said...

fashion at it's best...

I plan to make my own wardrobe entirely when I'm at the weight I want to be! lol laces..and hand crocheted pieces...and roses...lots of flowery patterns and prints!

thanks for the inspirations!

nice to meet you..and follow...and I do hope you'll swing on by for a visit with me too!

ciao bella

Creative Carmelina

Jessica Cangiano said...

Excellent post and point. Like yourself, I wear my fair share of black (and certainly love it), but have found ever since I was a child that brown brought my skin tone and colouring (which veers between a spring and autumn on the seasonal colour palette) to life so much better.


Joyful Tuesday wishes,
Jessica

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

Another fun thing about wearing brown is that you're just a bit different from the crowd.

A Vintage Girl said...

Brown on someone with the right skin tone looks so amazingly elegant. With the wrong combination of color and skin tone, it's unfortunate at best! I really love how Halle Berry wears a lot of skin tone garments. It just looks amazing with her skin color... just a little jealous!

BTW, I'm a new follower of your blog! It's Fab!

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

Welcome A Vintage Girl! It's nice to see you here!

Post a Comment