Thursday, February 24, 2011

Quirky Fashion of 1984

When I started my own business in the 80s, these weren't the clothes I liked or wore. I was more traditional in my taste. Now, nearly 30 years later, there is something about the quirky clothing featured in this editorial from 1984 that I really, really love. The unexpected shapes, the combination of patterns, and the neutral colors all strike me as very, very wearable at this stage of my life (sans shoulder pads and crazy hair, of course.)

One of my favorite daily reads is Ari's blog, Advanced Style. The women Ari features have inspired me to bolder choices, especially with my accessories. And today, these images from 1984 have come along to inspire me to look for new/old shapes and textures in my clothing. What do they say to you?

Loose top and bias cut longer skirt by Oscar de la Renta in a fun combination of stripes and checks. Both pieces in linen. Anthony Ferrara mesh and black leather belt. Norma Kamali tights. Bottega Veneta luggage.

Issey Miyake combines various striped cottons into a full blouse over cullottes. Wide belt by Harry Parnass. Striped tights by Hue. Shoes by Armando Pollini. Satchel by Albert Nipon and suitcase by La Bagagerie.

Issey Miyake oversized and sleeveless sweater worn with a striped cotton wrap skirt. Black fishnets are worn over brown tights. Lancel luggage.

Zoran black cotton sweater and linen sarong style wrap skirt belted narrowly. Patchwork fur bag by Rafael Sanchez. Joan and David Shoes. Lancel luggage.

Salvatore Ferragamo cropped linen pants in a subtle botanical print and oversized black cotton shirt. Lancel bag. Shoes by Vittorio Ricci.