Wednesday, August 12, 2009

1963 Fashion for Mad Men - Peggy Olson

Peggy, oh Peggy. From today's perspective, she sometimes frustrates me with her meek attitude, but the writers of Mad Men have it just right, since the feminist movement won't start for another 7 or 8 years.

Peggy Olson is a Copywriter at Sterling Cooper. Her style of dress is safe and often quite tenative. In the last season, Peggy seemed to gain some self-confidence and started wearing fitted sheath dresses, but always in neutral colors and classic patterns with high necklines. Above all, she does not want to stand out and call attention to herself.

Peggy is a bit behind the times fashion-wise, so it is difficult to find actual 1963 styles that she would wear. By rights, I should have been looking in fashion magazines from 1961 for her, but here are a few ideas about how she can update her look.

Peggy would feel comfortable in a sweater and skirt. This sweater has a suede front, which makes it less "sweater girl" in feel. It's demure enough for Peggy.

This high-necked A-line dress is a safe option for Peggy. She wouldn't have the confidence to wear the scarf, though.

This wool jumper worn over a blouse with a Peter Pan collar is an outfit that Peggy would certainly feel comfortable in. Less fitted through the waist, the shift dress is becoming very popular in 1963.

This semi-fitted shift dress with rolled collar and big buttons down the side is about as risky a fashion statement as Peggy might make. But every girl wanted to dress like Jackie Kennedy, and this dress is certainly in Jackie's style.

What would I like to see Peggy wear? How about wearing a matching jacket over a basic sheath dress to give the look of a suit? Will Peggy have enough self confidence this year to do so? We'll have to wait and see.

10 comments:

Deja Pseu said...

Excellent choices again!

The interesting thing about Peggy's Peter Pan collars is that they scream "little girl." I noticed as Peggy gained more traction with her career, she seemed to move away from them. I think I'd love to be a costumer...there's so much storytelling that goes on just from what the characters are wearing.

The Glamorous Housewife said...

I think character-wise, these are your best picks yet. I think Peggy is an odd bird and I haven't quite figured her out yet- maybe because she hasn't figured herself out.

Thanks doll,
The Glamorous Housewife

Sal said...

Spot-on again. Peggy just isn't an accessories girl, and doesn't have the chutzpah to show of her figure. Yet! I agree with Deja that she got bolder as her career progressed ...

Gladys said...

I love you more than gravey right now. I love the looks you picked for her. When she got dressed up and went to the Strip Joint with the rest of the men she looked stunning. Flowing blue chiffon, pretty hair, flattering make-up then she was right back to her frumpy pony tail and boring clothes.
YOU need to work in the movies or at the very least come dress me.

Berry said...

The Jackie-style dress is amazing! Peggy would be crazy not to wear it! =)

Jessica Cangiano said...

I often like Peggy's demure look, it's a bit girl-next-door, but not quite in a sugary-sweet Doris Day sort of way.

Fantastic post, my dear, I'm enjoying this MM series of yours so very much!

Big hugs,
♥ Jessica

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

Thanks everyone! Peggy was a hard one to do!

Darrah said...

I love the idea of wearing a matching jacket over a sheath dress. This is a great suit option for my body type as it makes me look longer! Skirt suits break my body up in all the wrong places. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I linked you on my blog. I'm proposing a challenge to some of my favorite bloggers, and asking them to write about the future of fashion journalism. I know this doesn't really follow "suit" (hehe) with your blog, but I think it's an important topic to discuss as fashion writers.

Bananor said...

Love the speculation, well thought out. BTW I added your blog to my blogroll on my own site: bananor.com. Keep up the good writing.
-Anna

fuzzylizzie said...

I'd LOVE to see Peggy in your choices, but I'm afraid she'd wither away and die without her peter pans!

Post a Comment