Monday, September 21, 2009

Disco Fever Fashion - 1978

In the late 70's, Disco was all the rage. In 1977, Studio 54 opened in New York, Donna Summer's music hit the charts, and the film Saturday Night Fever was released. And Disco had it's own fashion statement. Clothes that moved were key. Blouson bodices, elastic waists, thin belts, and drape-y flowing fabrics made it easier to dance, dance, dance . Let's take a look at some hot styles from 1978.

From left to right:
- He wears a Cacharel silk shirt a cotton velveteen trousers. The only thing missing is the gold chains!
- Sue Wong designed this polyester satin jumpsuit for Young Edwardian by Arpeja. The sleeves are slashed, the bodice is wrapped and blouson, and the ankles have elastic.
- A black nylon jumpsuit by On The Rocks has tapered legs and spaghetti straps.

From left to right:
- A polyester jersey top and skirt features a cowl neckline and split sleeves. By California Holiday.
- Patty Woodard polyester crepe camisole and flutter skirt.
- California Holiday polyester jersey dress with ruffle accents.

From left to right:
- Sue Wong dress for Young Edwardian by Argeja has a 40's feel with the pointed peplum. The cream crepe is covered with red glitter hearts and accented with a thin red belt.
- Michael Fredericks polyester jersey jumpsuit with a wrapped halter bodice.
- A tight cotton knit t-shirt with rhinestone accents by Sweet Inspirations is worn with the ultimate red stretch disco pants by J.J. & Co.

From left to right:
- Singer & Spicer polyester satin dress with a blouson bodice and elastic waist.
- Ci Bon black silk wrap jacket and slim pants with elastic at the ankles belted in fuschia.
- Carol Anderson polyester satin draped dress.

Sparkle, shimmer and shine were all the rage in accessories and strappy shoes ruled by day and by night.

- Brass evening bag dangles from a long black cord, by Carol for Eva Graham.
- Van Allen 40's inspired rhinestone fringe pin with a large faux sapphire a the center.
- Whiting and Davis blue and purple sash can be worn as a scarf or as a belt.
- Abbé Creations multi-colored rhinestone belt.
- David Evins evening sandals with removable ankle strap and metal mesh band.

- Van Allen long beaded tassel necklace.
- Halston for Commodore stretch sequined hat. A little satin pouch can be worn as a necklace so your evening bag doesn't get lost.

And don't forget a row of rhinestones up the back of your stockings!

Now get out there and Boogie, Oogie, Oogie!

12 comments:

Sal said...

HM was just asking how come the 70s never got a real style revival ... but many of these items are CLEARLY exerting influence on today's designs. I'll have to point him in your direction!

Deja Pseu said...

Not my favorite style period, but it really did influence fashions at the time. I remember lots of flowy, fluttery, shiny fabrics.

Suzanne said...

I typically shun the 70s - but your post today was eye candy - bringing to light what I remember was fun (I was a midwestern girl in my preteens and liked glitter and glam without really having more of a clue of what studio 54 was or stood for). Now that I think about the dancing ... wasn't all that polyester HOT - even with the vents and skin exposure? Were the exact styles to be reproduced today, wouldn't more attention be paid to breathability? Or is there a tradeoff between shinysparkly and breathability? REally wondering -

Lesley Ann said...

I have just started following you and your site is fantastic (or since we are discussing the 70's-"outasite"?)
The black jumpsuit with spaghetti straps looks like something I saw on the singer Rhianna not too long ago.

Shrinky Inky said...

ahhh, yes, the very year I graduated from high school. My dress under my cap and gown was a Qiana fabric rose colored dress I spent weeks making, with silver and gold disco heels. And a stack perm.

I love the 40's and vow never to wear a decade I already wore once ;)

Belle de Ville said...

My Eyes!!!!
It was bad enough living through the Disco years...I don't need to be reminded of them now. Thank God I was preppy rather than party girl during those years.

a cat of impossible colour said...

I love those sequined hats!

WendyB said...

That was an awesome and very sparkly time!

Tom Tuttle from Tacoma said...

feverish! i adore this post. thanks so much for putting this up. i'm not so sure about shiny jumpsuits (like lingerie) but they're really sexy.

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

Suzanne - Sweat we did. But the beauty of polyester and nylon was that you could usually just throw your dress or jumpsuit in the washing machine.

Shrinky Inky and Belle de Ville - I also wore 70's fashion once already in my lifetime, so you won't find me going there again. But I did have fun in this type of dress. I wasn't a jumpsuit gal.

Thanks everyone! Glad you liked this post!

Vix said...

I'm ALMOST positive I'd wear that Sue Wong peplum number. I'd just have to convince myself the red glitter hearts were a feature, not a bug....

catherine_sr. said...

I adore the over-the-top disco aesthetic. I recently watched The Eyes of Laura Mars and LOVED it. Part of me wonders what it would have been like to live during a time when there was so much of everything -- so much sequins, so much shiny eyeshadow, so much sparkly polyester...

Post a Comment