Thursday, September 24, 2009

How do you Feel About.......

....fur? Vintage fur, that is? The wearing of fur can be a controversial subject, and starting a discussion about the pros and cons of that is not my purpose. This blog is, at heart, a teaching tool, but for the most part, I've been avoiding showcasing images of fur coats from the past so as not to ruffle any feathers. Personally, I do sell and wear vintage furs, as they were made at a time when doing so was acceptable, and recycling a coat from the past is far better than buying new. I do want to be sensitive to your feelings, though.

As an example, the image above is from 1965. That year, coats featuring fur linings were quite popular. This set by Branell features a simple shift dress in charcoal wool with a matching wool coat. The fur lining the inside of the coat? I never would have guessed it, because it's not actual fur pelts. This is fabric made of vicuna that has been woven to look like fur. Vicuna is now an endangered species, so any sale of this fiber must meet local and federal laws, even if it is vintage. But that is something I could teach you about another day.

So, dear readers, how do you feel about it? Should I do occasional posts about fur types and fur styles from the past? Or should I just continue to write about other things? Please leave a comment with your opinion, and I'll go with the majority.