Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Vintage Dresses for Spring - 1948

It strikes me that all these women look so pretty and feminine in their dresses for spring 1948. At the same time, they are demure and sedate. No low-cut necklines, no body-hugging cuts, no short hemlines. I think these dresses are lovely. How about you?

Peck and Peck striped chambray cotton. Dress sold for $17 in 1948 (about $153 in today's dollar).

June Arden white eyelet peplum dress. Dress sold for $15 in 1948 (about $135 in today's dollar).

Dorothy Hubbs Bemberg rayon dress with a geometric print. Dress sold for $15 in 1948 (about $135 in today's dollar).

Dorothy Hubbs Bemberg rayon dress with diagonal stripes and bow at bust. Dress sold for $15 in 1948 (about $135 in today's dollar).

Alice Stuart blouse and skirt in a linen/rayon blend. Set sold for $12 in 1948 (about $108 in today's dollar).

Bonwit Teller sundress with bolero in Dan River cotton plaid. Dress sold for $9 in 1948 (about $81 in today's dollar).

8 comments:

Sheila said...

I love the dark one with the diagonal stripe. Those are so pretty!

Gladys said...

those are beautiful. I agree demure and classy. I really need to learn to sew so that I can copy some of these. :)

Kate said...

They are all just lovely. Thanks for sharing :)

~Kate~
http://vintageinamodernworld.blogspot.com/

lori said...

I love those dresses. It would be a huge amount of fun to be wearing those on a daily basis. They look cute with aprons too. Not so crazy about the hair though. Adds ten years to all those young ladies.

Vix said...

>Dorothy Hubbs Bemberg rayon dress with diagonal stripes

!!!

So commanding and yet feminine -- a tough combination.

All of these look like one could go about a non-labor-intensive day without any trouble at all. Thanks for the sampling of spring delights.

Louise said...

I completely agree.

Hana - Marmota said...

The diagonal stripes one is really fantastic - it seems to me the whole thing might be bias cut. But maybe I'm wrong.

(I found this post thanks to my desperate search for the history of Alice Stuart, because I recently got a vintage blouse of that brand. - I've found it was trademarked in 1950s, but the word of mouth says the blouse is late 1930s - and it kind of looks like it, too. At least now I have a proof that the brand is older than 1950s!)

cap said...

I found this site by searching for vintage blouses by alice stuart, because i have a black chiffon, button down the back, cris-cross front, that i purchased at a thrift shop in 1980, and was curious to find out more about her.

Post a Comment