Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Vintage Swimsuit Inspiration - 1956

Check out the neckline of that little jacket.  See how the opening extends into rounded tabs with buttons?  Love that!  Set by Andre Ledoux Sports.

At the beach, wear your hair in a simple braid.  Blue and white polka dot rayon skirted suit by Laure Belin.

Border printed fabric offers lots of opportunities to change the look of a design.  Simple white mules and a parasol are the perfect accessories.  Set by Laure Belin.

Slits in the skirt mimic the V-neckline in a nice example of design symmetry.  A vintage swimcap adds that extra je ne sais quoe. Suit by Marie-Rose Lebigot.

Cat's-eye sunglasses and a parasol add the perfect touch! Yipes stripes in cotton by Jeanne Lanvin - Castillo.

10 comments:

Jen A. Miller said...

There is a wonderful store in Ocean City, NJ that sells vintage bathing suits. Or there was one. I should check in on that!

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

What a perfect spot for a vintage swimsuit store!

Kay said...

I adore these and am reminded of my all-time favorite bathing suit of my dear mom's. It was made of cotton (of course!) and featured a fun print of Chinese "peasants" scurrying around on an aqua blue and white background. They had touches of the ubiquitous cherry blossom pink on their outfits, along with the coolie hats that were a must-wear that year. I only wish I had that suit now! Sigh! Thanks for a lovely blast from the past!
Love, Kay (moviestarmakeover)

YYZ said...

That second-to-last suit makes my heart flutter! See the vintage suits posted by my co-bloguiste: http://bit.ly/luCk1X They are so cute and I long for the days of structured, modest, stylish suits!

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

Oh, Kay that sounds adorable! Check out glamoursurf.com for the best authentic vintage swimsuits anywhere!

dahhlayne said...

OK, that last one has to definitely be my favorite out of the bunch here. I love the usage of horizontal and vertical stripes, and her cateye glasses...man, I have such a weakness for that frame. :)

forte-espressivo.blogspot.com

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

Great use of stripes, right? And look how they are perfectly matched from one side to the other on the bottom.

those tricks said...

OMG these are all wonderful, too.
That bottom romper/suit whatever = big win.

Eden Hensley Silverstein said...

The polka dot swim suit is my favorite. I wonder what colors it came in.

Blanka said...

I love vintage swim suits! Unfortunately I haven't any yet. But this post was very inspiring, maybe I'll bey one soon:)

Post a Comment