Monday, July 18, 2011

Inspiration From Ben Zuckerman - 1960

I'm going to change things up a bit this week and show you one spectacular garment per day from the year 1960 as inspiration for your own style.

Spectacular indeed is what I would say about this suit by Ben Zuckerman from 1960.  Everything about it just takes my breath away!  The silk is printed in an Asian inspired floral in pink, orange and white.  The jacket is tied at the waist in front and floats freely in the back.  It has the latest news in collars from 1960, the little stand-up style that sits away from the neck.  The suit sold in 1960 for $215.00 (about $1640.00 in today's dollar.)  And how about that hat by Lilly Daché?  It's made of pink silk and matches the lining of the suit jacket.  Gloves by Kislav. Quite a statement!

How does this inspire you?

9 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow! That suit is gorgeous! I don't know what I like more - the cut or the fabric. I think it might be a tie!

Val said...

I have been admiring garments like this one with the tied front and the loose back for awhile now. Do you have any suggestions as to if one might be able to find a vintage pattern with such a design? I would love to make something like that....

Debi said...

ooohh! This is very stunning!

MC said...

I love the print and bold colors. I really like the tied in front/free flowing in back look, too. The hat, however, looks to me like a gigantic shower cap!

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

Val, you might check over at the vintagepatterns wiki and see if you can find something. I'm sure there's something out there!

The Red Velvet Shoe said...

I laughed at that hat upon first sight...I, too, thought giant shower cap! But the suit is just stunning...I'd love to touch that fabric!

CarmenDahling said...

The gloves polish and finish the suit perfectly.

Erin said...

Great fabric.

Sixties60style said...

my mother was the fit model for BZ for 30 years, I know his designs well. The workmanship is not to be matched..

Post a Comment