Monday, October 08, 2012

Where Did Summer Go?

Many people consider Labor Day the end of summer, but I prefer to extend mine to Columbus Day.  And here it is.  As I sit here typing, I am wearing multiple layers of long sleeves because it is a chilly 46 degrees outside and we have not turned on the heat yet.  As a matter of fact, with what we know about changeable New England weather, the air conditioners are still in the windows and we actually had to use them one day last week.  But alas, the leaves are turning, they have started to fall, and it is time to admit defeat.  Summer 2012 is officially over.  This week I'll be pulling the tomato plants from the garden.  I have lots of green tomatoes that have no hope of ripening in this weather. Does anyone have a good suggestion as to how to use them? I picked the last of our green beans yesterday and those plants will come out too. The porch furniture will need to get stored, and we'll have to close all the storm windows soon.  But the memories of our delicious summer will live on, hopefully long enough to sustain me through the cold ahead. 

BTW, this is NOT how I dress to rake leaves!


7 comments:

K.Line said...

I love how perfect that mother looks. The dog is behaving (rather than salivating all over that gorgeous skirt). Her children are engaged in chores, even the one that just started walking! It's so unlikely but I believe it.

Lizzie said...

That photograph is simply perfect.

Yesterday I was lamenting the ratty look of my impatiens when it occurred to me that it was, after all, October 7. I went ahead and cleaned out the bed, knowing they will probably be frosted by the end of the week. I love fall, but it does make me sad.

Erin said...

I have made salsa verde with my green tomatoes in the past. I also hear you can ripen them inside in a single layer in a paper bag. Not sure how long it takes.

Jenifir said...

My Mum used to make green tomato chutney at the end of the season. In Ottawa, we had a frost this morning and last Thursday, I sat with friends for a pint at an outdoor patio! Not New England but changeable indeed!

BetterDressesVintage said...

Psst.... little kids LOVE raking leaves. we'll be setting ours to work in a few weeks (fall comes a bit later here in Atlanta). I, for one, plan to stand around in an outfit like the mom in the photo. I think I have a skirt just like it here somewhere. I'll have to borrow our friend's German shepherd to complete the tableaux, LOL...

Anonymous said...

My grandmother used to bring her green tomatoes in and store them in a pot or box with newspapers between the layers. They ripen slowly that way and you can eat them for quite a while. I tried it one year and it worked pretty well but you do have to keep an eye on them. They go from just barely green to overripe pretty quickly. I also made green tomato pickles one year. Those were nice.

Jenny said...

You should try pickling them! All you need to do is salt them for a few days, then sit them in vinegar for about a week, then drain them and cover them in olive oil with some aromats like garlic, thyme, bay leaf etc thrown in. Green tomato jam is also really delicious :)

Post a Comment