Tuesday, December 30, 2008

One of My Favorite Thrift Store Finds This Year

I went to one of my local thrift haunts last week a couple of days before Christmas. The store was really quiet, and I found quite a few goodies, among them one of my favorite finds ever.

My husband and I are art lovers and we have a very eclectic mix of art, much of it found at estate sales, auctions, and thrift stores. I always check out the art at this thrift, because you just never know what you'll find, and I will often buy a piece just for the frame. When I was at the store last week, the bin was overflowing, with several pieces piled on top of one another. I got this professionally framed Chagall poster for $2.99 because it was at the bottom of the pile and the glass had broken.

Yesterday, I went to my local hardware store and picked up a new piece of glass. I took the frame apart and found that this isn't a poster, but rather a print on heavy tagboard. I replaced the glass, and we hung it this morning in our bedroom. For less than $20, and a little DIY, I'd say this is one of my best deals this year, too.


The piece is called "La Sainte Famille", and from my research, it appears it was originally done as a lithograph in 1970. I just love it!