Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Party Fashion à la 1959

Reader Monique wrote with this question:

"In April of next year I will be celebrating my 50th birthday. I am
planning to do a fabulous 50's theme...I do NOT want it to turn into a
costume party. I really want to inspire my guests (as well as myself) to
dress in the most stylish 50's fashion. Can you please share with me me any suggestions for styles in the late 50's??"

I sure can, Monique! First of all, Happy Birthday! I pulled out a few issues of Glamour magazine from 1959 and found some great party styles for you. But first, lets talk about what NOT to wear. No poodle skirts or saddle shoes! That style, which has become a costume cliche, would have been worn earlier in the 50's and by teenagers to the high school sock hop.

What TO wear? A glamourous full skirted dress in an evening fabric will do. Here are pictures of several styles in brocade, chiffon, satin, and taffeta. Colors are clear and bright, black, white, or metallic brocades.

A skirt with a bit less flair, or a fitted sheath also works. A fitted dress should be jazzed up with lots of jewelry.

Beaded sweaters or cropped jackets, sometimes with fur trim, can be worn over the dress if it is a cool evening. Swing coats and fur stoles are also appropriate.

Lots of sparkly rhinestone jewelry shows up, in necklaces, brooches, and earrings.

Shoes should be spike heels with pointed toes.

Gloves can be worn, if desired. They can be short or long, but are usually white.

In makeup, you'll find a strong defined brow line, black eyeliner and heavy mascara, and a strong lip color. Hair is either pulled back tight to the head with a chignon, or teased high with a flip at the ends.

I hope that helps, Monique, and have a fun party!