Friday, May 15, 2009

My Cinderella Dress

When I was a child, I loved the story of "Cinderella". I saw the Disney film in the theatre. "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo".

I watched "Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella" every year on television. I can still sing all the words from every song. "Do I love you because you're beautiful, or are you beautiful because I love you?"

Who doesn't love this story? As children, I'm sure we all had dreams of a Prince Charming who would rescue us from everything that was wrong with our lives. We would reside high on a hill in a castle and live happily ever after. In my version, I would get to wear sparkly evening gowns with big poufy tulle skirts.

Here's my Cinderella dress. A strapless bodice embroidered with white and gold above a huge skirt with multiple layers of netting that sweeps out from a tiny waist. This dress, by Caradele, sold for $40.00 in 1954 (about $325.00 in today's dollar).

What does your Cinderella dress look like?

6 comments:

Sal said...

Mine looks just like that, too ... I wouldn't change a detail!

Wendy said...

Mine looks like yours only light blue with silver sparkles. Great site. Always nice to find a fellow vintage fashionista.

www.timelessfashionandart.com

Miss Rayne said...

I love those large skirted 50s gowns but I'm too short. In a fairy tale I would have something like this pleated
Grecian Gown by Molyneux, ok so I could be
taller in a fairy tale too. I think I would want my Prince Charming to be a dress desinger.

Victoria said...

Well, I have a cindarella-esque dress which can be seen here:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__zMDdfX-nxU/SFggIk32bmI/AAAAAAAAA8w/IvoRuN-Pd04/s1600-h/HPIM1116.JPG

The detail at the bottom is really pretty, and its a champagne ivory color. The french bustle made it classier. But, I wish I had more bust to fill out the top! It was terribly heavy.

Melissa said...

My Cinderella dress is my wedding dress. It was absolutely perfect!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/mdmnore88/Wedding/missyscottcropped.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/mdmnore88/Wedding/happymissy.jpg

I felt like a princess a tight beaded embellished corset and a full ballerina skirt with jewels and sparkles throughout the taffeta. It was amazing. It was the best wedding dress and it was stunning on me.

Tom Tuttle from Tacoma said...

i don't have one. would be too fickle to be partial to any one. yours is really perfection. i like that the hem's above the ankles. really lovely.

the other cinderellas here are beautiful :)

Post a Comment