Friday, May 15, 2009

My Cinderella Dress

When I was a child, I loved the story of "Cinderella". I saw the Disney film in the theatre. "Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo".

I watched "Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella" every year on television. I can still sing all the words from every song. "Do I love you because you're beautiful, or are you beautiful because I love you?"

Who doesn't love this story? As children, I'm sure we all had dreams of a Prince Charming who would rescue us from everything that was wrong with our lives. We would reside high on a hill in a castle and live happily ever after. In my version, I would get to wear sparkly evening gowns with big poufy tulle skirts.

Here's my Cinderella dress. A strapless bodice embroidered with white and gold above a huge skirt with multiple layers of netting that sweeps out from a tiny waist. This dress, by Caradele, sold for $40.00 in 1954 (about $325.00 in today's dollar).

What does your Cinderella dress look like?