Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Chanel Nonsense and Miscellaneous Stuff

Today's post is a mish-mosh of various stuff with no central theme.

Topic #1 - I was flipping through the latest issue of Vogue magazine yesterday and came across this ad for Chanel.

I realize that since 1982, when Karl Lagerfeld became the designer at Chanel, the average age of the Chanel customer has dropped. But has it dropped so much that Chanel's target customer is a teenager who hangs out on MySpace? Really? How does she pay for a $2700 cocoon bag?

24-year-old pop singer Lily Allen is the model. Quite frankly, I had no idea who she was until I saw her name on the Chanel website and then Googled her. And I'll wager that Chanel's best customers - the ones who actually shop in Chanel stores and spend thousands of dollars on clothing and accessories - have absolutely no interest in her or her music.

As a woman over the age of 50, I find this ad campaign derogatory and a real turn off. Come on, Karl. We women of the Baby Boomer generation are the ones with money to spend, and we're not interested in wearing tiaras in our hair. Why aren't you designing for us? Better yet, why aren't you marketing to us? Your ad makes me realize you don't care about me as a potential customer. I can deal with that. I'll be happy to take my money elsewhere.

**********************************************************

Topic #2 - Speaking of women over 50, have you heard about the new site www.faboverfifty.com? You will. Geri Brin, former editor and publisher at Fairchild Publications, will be launching the site in January of 2010. And while you're waiting, enjoy Geri's Fab Over Fifty Blog. I do, on a daily basis.

**********************************************************

Topic #3 - We're fast approaching the end of a decade. My friend and colleague Jonathan Walford of the Fashion History Museum in Canada has posted a retrospective look at fashion from 2000 - 2009 that is a fascinating read. Go see it here. And thanks, Jonathan, for the work that went into that post!

**********************************************************

Topic #4 - I am headed out on a week-long buying trip tomorrow. Although I won't be around to comment or read your blogs, I have prepared a week's worth of new posts for you here. Heaven forbid you should have Couture Allure Blog withdrawal! See you next week, friends!