Thursday, February 11, 2010

Cute Capelet - 1954


Isn't this adorable? I'm a sucker for great details, and I think this capelet from 1954 has a lot of character. It was featured in an ad for Wiss Pinking Shears, and for 25¢, they would send you the pattern. The pieces are cut with pinking shears so the edges don't ravel, and the seams are accented with buttons. It looks like there are short darts at the neckline to help shape the pieces.

If I was a better pattern maker, this would probably be pretty easy to figure out, but you could also adapt a sewing pattern by just removing the seam allowances at the front and overlapping the seam allowances at the sides. I'd make it in 100% wool felt, not the cheap polyester craft felt you find in most fabric stores.

And, hey! If I've inspired you today, I want to see a picture of your finished project!

5 comments:

Roxy Te Owens said...

A little late for the "Mad women", but I could totally see January Jones wearing this as Betty Draper.

Jenifir said...

Wool felt is now available for needlefelters in some fabric stores. It is quite expensive but this capelet should not take too much yardage. The design would really show off some fabulous vintage buttons. I hope that more than one reader gets inspired!

puddin said...

And be sure to use the heavy duty good pinkers, not the less expensive versions, which are for lightweight items.

Vix said...

Hmmmm, I already own and wear *one* vintage capelet...I wonder if there's a quota?

Love that design, and hope at least one of your readers takes on your challenge!

Alicia said...

That would look absolutely gorgeous over a wedding gown for a fall or winter wedding. I think I'm going to give it a shot but it won't be any time soon!

Post a Comment