Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Jonathan Logan

I am always pleased when I find a 1950s dress with the Jonathan Logan label, because I know that denotes a dress that is well made and has stood the test of time. Jonathan Logan dresses are always stylish and, many times, just down-right adorable. It's no wonder they are so popular with my customers!

Founded in 1944 by David Schwartz in New York's Garment District, by 1962, the company's sales had reached $80 million. Schwartz managed that by going against the norm in the garment industry. He employed 60 salesmen who were on the road, visiting stores to take orders and reporting on styles that were selling well. In this way, the company was able to react quickly and pull slow-sellers from the line, while stepping up production on styles that were hot.

Schwartz insisted on staying in the Junior market because, though only 20% of the country's women wore Junior sizes, those women bought 35% of all clothes.

In 1962, the company had 28 manufacturing plants all over the U.S., with a centralized distribution center in New Jersey. It was one of the first to use a Univac computer to sort orders. And it owned a C46 transport aircraft to fly fabrics and finished goods between the manufacturing plants and the distribution center.

Schwartz also owned the Butte Knit, Youth Guild, and Junior Accent labels, and began the Bleeker Street line in 1966 to appeal to the Mod generation.

Please note: Biographical information about Jonathan Logan is copyright of Couture Allure and may not be copied without permission.

16 comments:

puddin said...

Jonathan Logan appealed to mothers of juniors, was affordable, could be worn to school and was washable! (Mostly).

Jenifir said...

Were junior lines at the time similar to now with a slimmer cut and shorter back and waist to hip lengths? It would be interesting if you could post about garment sizing and standardization or lack of it. I wonder if today's vanity sizing is contributing in some ways to our society's obesity problems. One hundred years ago, Americans were the tallest society in the world where now it is the Dutch so our increased garment sizes cannot be blamed on 'bone structure'. I hope that this is not too controversial.

Garnet said...

I love that first dress. I've even saved it to my computer so I can go back to it for inspiration!

Garnet

sabrinahollyvintage said...

I had a gorgeous Jonathan Logan dress. Shouldn't have sold it on my Etsy store! His designs are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

sabrinahollyvintage.etsy.com

lori said...

I remember my mom buying Jonathan Logan dresses. They were cute.

The Novelist said...

Their waists are so small! The first dress is my favorite.

Ms. B @ Millie Deel said...

That first one is a dream!!!

Gladys said...

I had a Bleeker Street jumper and a Jonathon Logan skirt and blouse outfit from the 70's. Ihe think that Casual Corner sold Johnathon Logan. I never knew the background but always loved the designs.

betty said...

we wore knit dresses of Jonathan Logan in college in the late 60's.--then I was married in 1968 in pink mini Jonathan Logan dress, cost $25.--picked out on my hour lunch break--wish I had kept it, size 6/7--couldn't wear it now, grand-daughter could. lol

Natalia Designs said...

This is such a beautiful dress!

Ariana said...

This post came up when I was doing research on a dress I found in a little antique shop today, the dress is a Johnathan Logan and I didn't really know the background thanks so much for the help with this new find of mine!

Anonymous said...

i own a vintage jonathan logan navy blue dress. its in great shape and used to be my grandmothers. i cant wear it and i really dnt know what to do with it. any advice?

Anonymous said...

I had many Jonatha Logan dresses, they were my favorities, purchased at Burdine's in Florida.

Anonymous said...

I literally stumbled into the Jonathan Logan showroom at 1411 Broadway when I was just 17...
I actually walked into a vip meeting...I was hired on the spot and told to start the following Monday. I was the Showroom Model for Jonathan Logan. My years working for Dave Schwartz were wonderful. Logan was an amazing place to work, and Dave Schwartz was truly a character. He was very good to me and even assisted my fiance with getting into a good dental school. The garment industry is a treacherous place for a young girl, but I was protected at Logan. Forty years later, I remember my days there as a young showroom model with much pride and happiness..glory days.

Rosemary Neustadt Marano
25 September 2012

Jelma said...

I just bought a Jonathan Logan dress at Value Village. I paid $4 for it and had no idea about the designer. I researched the name and it seems like I got quite the deal! I love my dress!

Joan said...

The clothes were just beautiful. I always envied the girls in college w/ me who good wear them, esp the suits. Such gorgeous colors...I was never in my life a junior size, by any stretch of the imagination. Too tall, too heavy, and too poor. I made most of the clothes I wore, and I don't remember any Jonathan Logan patterns, either.

Joan

Post a Comment