Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Another Lilli Ann Dress - 1956

What are the chances?  I open another magazine from 1956 and there is another dress by Lilli Ann!  It makes me wonder if the company was just starting to manufacture dresses at this time, or if it was just that they advertised dresses during the summer months instead of suits.  This deserves more investigation.  This fitted sheath has jutting pockets at the hips and the bust is adorned with embroidery, rhinestones and pearls.  I have to be honest.  I'm not sure if the placement of all that decoration is attractive or unfortunate.  What's your opinion?

7 comments:

fabriquefantastique said...

depends on the figure...

Lauriana said...

I have to say, the idea of 'dress with beaded and embroidered bust area' doesn't sound great... but I like the look of this dress. And I have an A-cup so this kind of decoration might be an idea to make the bust of a fitted dress look a bit more in proportion...

P.S. I've just linked to your blog (again) from mine. I was writing about some vintage shoes I've bought and one of them was sold at Bonwit Teller, a name I know through your blog. If you have the time, I'd love your expert opinion on the age and context of those shoes. The blog post is here: http://petitmainsauvage.blogspot.com/2012/05/whom-shoe-fits.html

Erin said...

I think the whole thing is unfortunate. Not a big fan of the "mermaid top" decorations or what looks like fins about to emerge from the hips. :)

deang said...

I think the placement of the decoration, the only eye-drawing decoration on the dress, is kind of unfortunate, a bit too obvious an attempt to draw the eye toward the bust. But that was a tendency during the fifties.

Maja said...

It works for her but just imagine someone with longer boobs (and yes I men longer) ough that just wouldn't be great at all....

Anonymous said...

I had a Lilli Ann dress for many years and sold it a couple years ago. If I can find a picture of it, I'll email it to you. Sue John

elfine said...

la seule critique pour cette robe, c'est qu'il fallait un corps parfait. En l'occurrence il s'agit d'un mannequin et du travail artistique de la Haute Couture. Les toilettes à l'époque ne se portaient pas dans les mêmes conditions qu'aujourd'hui, mais suivant la circonstance et son heure. Complètement ignorés de nos jours.

Post a Comment