Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Marimekko on Exhibit

Back in July, I did a post about Marimekko dresses and the original Design Research store in Cambridge, MA. Crate and Barrel recently vacated the DR building, and rather than have it sit empty, the landlord allowed Jane Thompson, wife of DR founder Ben Thompson, to pull together an exhibit of what the original DR store looked like to mark it's 40th anniversary. Included are vintage Marimekko dresses hanging in the windows.



The exhibit can only be viewed through the windows from the outside, and is brightly lit at night. If you live in the Boston area or will be visiting, take a trip to Harvard Square to see a bit of history on view through April 2010. This is how we shopped 40 years ago!

Want to see more of the Marimekko on display? Pop on over to the Marimekko Blog to see a host of stunning photos. I didn't know Marimekko had a blog, but I was sure happy to find it!

And if you've got a free 10 minutes, this clip from WGBH news program Greater Boston is worth your time. At least watch the first 5 with film from inside the exhibit.







10 comments:

puddin said...

Wow!! Thanks for the video!

Sal said...

Oh, how I wish I could visit that display in person!

Gerri Ward said...

WOW! What a Fabulous post!:))

Kiki Von Glinow said...

Wow, that's such a cool idea to have an outdoor accessible display, I'll have to go check it out. Thanks for the post!
-Kiki
www.thestatementpiece.blogspot.com

Gladys said...

How cool is that? I love that they have made it into a gallery. One of my favorite things to do as a child was to walk up and down the streets of my hometowns downtown after dark and window shop with my mother. She would point out different outfits and why they worked or didn't. She was a window dresser when she was in college and honestly it was like going to a museum or art gallery looking at some of the displays.

fabulous finds said...

what a fabulous post! the colors!!
i so wish i lived closer...that must be exquisite in the evening...all lit up...thanks for sharing...
www.fabulousfinds-elena.blogspot.com

Belle de Ville said...

Didn't Merimekko have a store in Cambrige in the 1970's. I seem to have a memory of one from back when I was a child in Brookline.
At that time Merimekko print dresses were the anti Lilly Pulitzer.

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

Belle, as far as I know Design Research was the only place to buy Marimekko in the 70s. Marimekko did not have their own store.

Vix said...

My younger sisters had Marimekko bedding and, IIRC, a wallpaper border. This would have been late 70s. Unless I had it earlier? God my brain is going.

White background, their classic huge flowers in a pink/green colorway that went well with the grass-green carpeting...no wonder I am drawn to color now, ha.

Now this was very different from my mother's style, so I doubt she would have tracked it down in Boston. But maybe she was seduced, or maybe it was a gift from a design-conscious family friend? I'll have to ask her.

Thanks much for this post/links; wish I could poke my nose against the glass, but this is the next best thing!

Diana said...

Marimekko dresses are so gorgeous! I wish I was in Boston.

Post a Comment