Friday, April 17, 2009

I Want This Dress

After my rant on Monday about my experience at the mall, I not at all surprised that General Growth Properties, second largest mall operator in the US, has filed for bankruptcy. Judging by your response to that post, I am not alone in disliking "The Shopping Mall". The retail industry is in for a bumpy ride over the next couple of years, and we are going to see many stores disappear. Hopefully, the retailers that are left will recognize that we want a better experience when we shop. Enough said - stepping off the soapbox and moving on.

I want this dress. Everything about it is perfect - the color, the drape, the long sash tie, and the fact that it looks timeless. Care to guess when it was made? Looks modern doesn't it? Go ahead, guess.

Of course, you know this blog does not feature modern clothing, so you won't be able to run to the dreaded mall and buy it today. If you could, you would find it made of polyester dreck, or maybe cheap silk if you're lucky. But, my friends, this dress is infinitely better than that. It is made of wool chiffon, a high-end, very lightweight wool with a crepe weave. Did you know that lightweight wool is very comfortable to wear in the summer? Because it is a natural fiber, it breathes and keeps you cool - unlike polyester, which will make you feel like you are wearing a sweat box. Wool drapes beautifully, resists wrinkles, and won't give you a problem with static cling. I really want this dress.

Did you guess? It was made in 1963 by Oleg Cassini Young America. If anyone out there ever finds this dress, please send it to me. I covet this dress. I need this dress. I must have this dress.