Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Accessorize a Basic Dress - 1953

A 1953 magazine offers the following ideas to accessorize a grey dress by Henry Rosenfeld. Using accessories to change the look of a basic dress is a smart way to stretch your wardrobe dollar in today's economy. Spend your money wisely on a simple but high-quality garment that offers a blank canvas to decorate in many ways. Then look for less expensive trendy accessories that will give you a variety of looks for little money.

Here, the dress is worn with a V-neck top that peeks out at the neckline and a wide belt.

A white hat, ascot, and gloves give the dress a completely different look.

Tuck a scarf into the neckline and add wide bangle bracelets. Printed scarves in trendy patterns would also look great.

Wear a scarf or shawl as a topper, or add a jacket or sweater for even more looks.

7 comments:

Sal said...

SO FUN! I love all of these looks, and they are all drastically different from one another.

Gladys said...

I am being interviewed on T.V. Friday. I have been frantically trying to find something to wear. I have a plain black dress and I think that is what I'm going ot wear. Just add a brooch and some bangles. This post helped me tremendously.
I wish I had that dress (the one in the picture) it would be perfect except it's 200 degrees outside.

catherine_sr. said...

I love how fashion magazines used to have these "accessorize a dress" features back when buying a dress was a event, and not an impulse purchase the way it often is now. And the accessories back then were incredible too! I'm a huge fan of collars... I love shopping for vintage ones on Etsy and eBay.

Darrah said...

I love that this is such a timeless idea. I read that it's more efficient to buy jewelry that keeps up with the trends, than to buy actual pieces. They're cheaper, and it's such an easy way to spice up a classic.

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

Buying a dress back then was an event. Quality construction and design took a bigger bite out of a woman's wardrobe than the cheaply made goods we find today. Vintage is always a better value!

Gladys said...

I wrote an essay about my worst date for the Premier of "The Ugly Truth" with Katherine Hiegle and Gerard Butler. The Premier was last Thrusday and the movie releases this Friday. So they are going to interview me about my essay and the movie.

BTW I went with a vintage 70's Black Dress and Spectator pumps. I'll wear a brooch and pearls.

Bonjour Madame said...

Thank goodness for accessories! I like the idea of tucking a scarf into the neckline and showing it peeking out.

Post a Comment