Tuesday, September 14, 2010

One Striking Photo

Last week, when I was wandering the Brimfield Antique Show, one of the treasures I brought home was an issue of Vogue magazine from 1946. As I started turning the pages, this ad stopped me cold. I absolutely adore everything I see here, but the printed gloves that match the printed blouse that matches the printed lining of the jacket make me swoon with glee.

This striking photo is an early example of cross merchandising. The ad is for Harzfeld's in Kansas City. Harzfeld's was the high end department store in Kansas City. Revlon kicked in advertising dollars so they could get a tag line for their "Fatal Apple" red lipstick, which the model wears. And in small letters, a second tag line tells us that the suit is by Pattullo. Jo Copeland was the designer for Pattullo, and she was recognized as one of the most talented American designers of the time. But I probably didn't need to tell you that. The gloves say it all!