Thursday, February 19, 2009

How I Would Dress the Oscar Nominees - Melissa Leo

Melissa Leo has been nominated for a Best Actress Oscar for her role in Frozen River. This is a first time nomination for Leo, and she hasn't seen much time on the red carpet.

Leo (right) at Critic's Choice Awards 2009

Leo at Director's Guild Awards 2009

Since Melissa Leo isn't well known, her "style persona " hasn't been developed yet. With her wild reddish hair, she has a rather bohemian mystic and I'd love to see her use that to her advantage. What better to dress her in than in a 1970's designer print?

Would you rather see Leo wear this Albert Capraro ethereal silk gown from 1975......

....or this print gown with dramatic sleeves from Lillie Rubin 1975?

4 comments:

50sgal said...

I actually like what she already has going on , the early 1960's still 50's look and I am not just saying that because I am living in 1955, but both of those 70's styles would look bad on her as I can see she is rather small. Nothing can make a small person look more dumpy than a full sleeve and a floor length skirt. I would rather see her in a fitted 1960s suit

Deja Pseu said...

I'm so happy that Leo was nominated! She's never received the recognition she deserves as an actress, IMO.

I think the large prints of the second gown might swamp her, as she is quite petite. Not sure about the first, it might work.

Kay said...

I love this, such a great idea for the post!
It has to be the first dress.

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

I also prefer the Capraro gown. The second is a bit too casual for the Oscars, but I love the sleeves and the print. Leo would certainly stand out in a sea of "safe" gowns, but she might get bad press because of it. It will be interesting to see what she does choose. And I hope she'll let her hair go wild.

Post a Comment