Thursday, February 26, 2009

Vreeland and Scavullo - Bazaar 1960

Francesco Scavullo, 1960 photo for BazaarDiana Vreeland was Fashion Editor at Harper's Bazaar from 1937 to 1962. Known for her meticulous attention to detail, the fashion shoots she directed delivered fantasy to the American public. She has been quoted as saying, "Give ‘em what they never knew they wanted!” It works for me because I definitely want to be this woman right now. I am so tired of winter.

This photo was taken by Francesco Scavullo in Trinidad and Tobago in 1960. The model wears a white pique midriff-baring blouse over a long red and white cotton wrap skirt, both by Mr. Mort Sportswear. The Weiss bib necklace and the brooch-as-hair-ornament add just the right touch of the exotic. But it's the bare feet that make me feel the warm tropical breeze and the hot sand on the beach. Oh yeah, I definitely want to be this woman right now.