Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Awful 80s Fashion #9 or "Oh Yes We Did!"

It's been quite a long time since I posted an installment of Awful 80s Fashion for you. If you'd like to see the first 8 posts, simply type "awful 80s" in the search box down there in the left column.

Yes, my friends. We really did wear this stuff. If you're too young to have lived through the 80s, have a laugh at our expense. If you did live through it with me, let me jog your memory a bit. Lest you think these styles were only worn by "youngsters" or only sold by trendy shops, all these images came from Summer 1985 mail order catalogs sent out by Bergdorf Goodman, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Bonwit Teller. Oh, yes. Yes, we did.

I confess. I had several of these sets that consisted of "cutesy" oversized t-shirts worn over matching "cutesy" tights. No, I won't show you a picture. You can't make me! This set by James Berry had a fish print tee with cropped tights printed with fish scales. Sold at Bergdorf Goodman in 1985 for $106 (about $217 in today's dollar.)

If you weren't wearing a t-shirt over your tights, you were wearing a huge plaid shirt with linebacker shoulder pads. And ankle socks. And jazz shoes. Admit it, yes you were. Both pieces by Diane B. Sold at Bergdorf Goodman in 1985 for $148 (about $303 in today's dollar.)

In 1985, we wore flowered pants with elastic waists and tapered legs. Diversions cotton separates. Sold at Bonwit Teller in 1985 for $34 (about $70 in today's dollar.)

We wore jumpsuits.....big oversized jumpsuits. We wore them with scrunchy socks and Keds. Pure white would do, but blinding neon colors were better. It was not easy to go to the bathroom wearing these things. And how many times did you drop your sleeve in the toilet, hmmmm? Both jumpsuits here by Naf Naf. Sold at Bergdorf Goodman in 1985 for $98 (about $201 in today's dollar.)

I shudder to remember this. Weren't we sexy in our stretch lace catsuits? I don't think I need to elaborate. Lily of France stretch nylon lace unitard. Sold at Saks Fifth Avenue in 1985 for $25 (about $51 in today's dollar.)