Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Travel 1949 Style

Travel isn't what it used to be, and that's a good thing! When my husband and I went to Europe for two weeks a couple of years ago, we did it with just a carry-on bag each. I packed a versatile wardrobe of knits that I mixed and matched for 14 days, and getting through airport customs and security in multiple cities was a breeze.

In 1949, a gal had to travel with sportswear, day dresses, afternoon dresses, and evening gowns. Then she had to add hats, shoes, undergarments, and other accessories suitable for each outfit. A cosmetic case was needed for all those glass bottles and jars, as well as hair styling needs and jewelry. Oh, and don't forget your travel iron since permanent press garments weren't available yet. A two week trip through Europe would require at least 3-4 suitcases! The cases themselves weren't lightweight and didn't have wheels. I feel weighed down just thinking about it!

Above: A cotton plaid full skirt and black wrap top, both by Justin McCarty. Canvas luggage by Skyway.

Green cotton sunsuit, skirt, and jacket all by Junior House. Cowhide luggage by U.S. Trunk.


Navy polka-dot cotton lawn dress by Surrey Classic. Cowhide luggage by Amelia Earhart.

9 comments:

Bonjour Madame said...

I love vintage suitcases. I just posted about my vintage vanity case that I found. I can't wait to use it. But you are right, I don't know if I could travel without a wheeled suitcase anymore.

Deja Pseu said...

I pack in a single wheeled bag, but still check luggage so I can carry my own shampoo and skincare (packed in small travel sized bottles, but still more than will fit in a quart-sized baggie). Love those old vintage suitcases. Back then, you hired a porter to shlep it all...

Sal said...

The luggage itself is just charming, but I also prefer modern travel standards. I'm on vacation next week and plan to do a little carry-on ... and that's it!

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

Funny how so many of these vintage suitcases are now used for decoration instead of actual travel. The round vintage hatbox suitcases are my favorite. Pseu - I had to learn to get along with those tiny bottles of skincare, etc. Its amazing what you can cram into a quart-size zip-loc when you need to!

greetz from tiz said...

I adore the vintage suitcases.., not only for decoration but also for travel!...and travelling is so cool...i wish could to that more!
greetz
your posts are always fantastic!

a cat of impossible colour said...

That's certainly true, but I do miss the glamour of air travel back then! :)

Gladys said...

My Holy Grail is a Vintage Louise Vitton train case. Le Sigh.

fuzzylizzie said...

Another vintage luggage lover here. I have several pieces that I love, and I actually use some of the smaller pieces. I've considered collecting a complete set, but common sense over-rules the passion!

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion said...

Remember the scene in "Sabrina" when Audrey is surrounded by her luggage as she waits to be picked up at the train? She looked so incredibly gorgeous.

Post a Comment